I’ve noticed a lack of interest from fans on our library’s Facebook page, which has sparked an interest in Library Facebook page best practices. On top of that, Facebook has recently announced that changes are coming in January 2015. Facebook pages will be penalized for too many promotional posts, and businesses that market on Facebook will have to buy ads instead of using Facebook to advertise for free. This has spurred many questions, including: How will it affect libraries? The truth is, we won’t know until after a few months of analyzing the difference between past and future statistics.
Therefore, the only solution as of now is to create posts with interesting and valuable information.
Ideas for your Facebook posts…
- Pictures of your library patrons at programs (get permission)
- Videos of programs and your library’s mission and messages
- Tips on how patrons can find information easier
- Staff member introductions
- Ask your fans and patrons questions about what they like to read, watch, listen to, do
If you’re like me and are still looking for information on how to improve your library’s Facebook page, here are some resources and reads that I’ve found so far.
- American Libraries Magazine – Facebook for Libraries
- Content Marketing and Strategy for Libraries
- Mandy Boyle – Facebook For Libraries Slideshare
- Rachel Eichen – Facebook for Libraries Slideshare
- Tammy Ivins – Facebook: Making A Robust Presence Slideshare
- Bridget Schumacher – Facebook for Libraries: Building an Active Online Community Slideshare
- Veronica Rutter – Facebook for Children’s Libraries Slideshare
- NCompass Live: Putting Facebook To Work For Your Library Slideshare
- Laurie Boettcher – Facebook Fan Pages For Libraries Slideshare
- Derry Libraries – Facebook Marketing for Public Libraries Slideshare
- Elise C. Cole – Social Media For Public Libraries: Basics and Beyond Slideshare
- Carmel Gavin – Libguides and Facebook: Creating a 24/7 Library Slideshare
- Resonance Content Marketing – Social Media Marketing for Libraries Slideshare
- Diana Silveira – Lunch & Learn Facebook Slideshare
- Marketing and Social Media: A Guide for Libraries, Archives, and Museums by Christie Koontz, Lorri Mon
- Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian
by Nancy Dowd, Jonathan Silberman, Mary Evangeliste
- Creating a Social Media Plan for Your Library
- Show Don’t Tell: Library Snapshot Day
- Library Marketing Strategy: This Library Is Doing It Right
Do you have any comments, tips and tricks, or resources that you would like to share? Please do! Or you can start a conversation with me on Twitter (@sarahderinger88), and find me on Facebook (http://facebook.com/sbd1988). I’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say.